6 large eggs, room temperature, separated
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tbsp RawSpiceBar Mahlab Spice
1 lemon, juice and 1/2 zest
1 cup flour, sifte
2 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
3 cups fresh peaches, diced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line the bottom of three 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Scrape the meringue in another bowl. Set aside.
- Sift flour and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar over top of egg yolk mixture. Fold the flour mixture in the egg mixture, followed by half of the meringue.
- Fold the rest of the meringue into the batter until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pans evenly and smooth the top.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the cake edge and place the cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar until it holds stiff peak.
- To assemble, spread 1/3 of the whipped cream on top then place peaches. Repeat until layered.
- Chill the cake until ready to serve. Sprinkle powdered sugar or RawSpiceBar Mahlab Spice on top before serving. Enjoy!